Removing the wiper motor and linkages from a Toyota Hilux is pretty straight forward.

First you have to remove the electrical plug from the starter motor, followed by the 4 x 10mm bolts holding the wiper motor to the firewall.
Next, pull the wiper motor away from the firewall so that you can adjust it so that the linkage is poking through. Now using a 1/2 ring spanner undo the nut that holds the linkage to the wiper motor. Once the nut is undone, I use a large flat blade screwdriver and hammer to tap the back of the linkage to free it from the wiper motor. ( It doesn't take much, just a quick tap to free it from the tappered fine spline)
 Next, undo the 6 x 12mm bolts that hold the linkages for the wiper arms.  
 Then you have to gently manipulate the linkage so that you can remove it through the hole in the cowl area furtherest away from where the wiper motor is mounted.  
 The linkage assembly removed.  

Started stripping the paint off the ute

   Removed all the glass, window mechanisms and handles, along with most of the other interior bits and pieces.
Paint stripping back the doors.
 Slowly getting there, have done the guards and doors, cleaned up with phosphoric acid and steel wool, should prevent flash rusting till I can get back to it.
 Today's effort was to pain strip back the cab.
Cab stripped back to reveal some rust worm that I'll have to use phosphoric acid to dissolve the rust before I can paint it.
A close up of the rust worm I'm talking about.
Removing the body sealant, everything is looking good, have to do some research on a good sealant to replace what has been removed.
Back of the cab after a bit of a clean up with some phosphoric acid, just a little bit of fiddly work and it'll be ready for undercoat.
A close up of the roof, as you can see the phosphoric acid has got rid of the rust worm that was present before.


I have removed most of the interior apart from the dash at this stage, I have decided to leave this in until a little later on, this appears to be a straight forward process as long as you are aware of a couple of important steps as in this great video by 6th Gear Garage Dash removal

Got my black dog watching over the restoration.

I have removed the front bullbar, grill, and lights, looks like there was a slight hit on the drivers side, I see a couple of make shift repairs to the headlight mount and slight dent on the apron panel. (Small ripple in a big ship)

   The floor pan appears to be in good condition considering the age of the ute. A lot of the colour seen here is old fish oil that has dried. There is a bit of surface rust under the pedal box but they will clean up easy enough.
   Removed the roof lining, it had a small tear about 5 inches long behind the passenger side, now it's got a few more, so I'm going to have to try and find a NOS or someone that can use the old one as a template and make another for me.


Ok, It's time to get started on the Hilux.

The first step is to remove the back off the Hilux and pressure wash the chassis and cab, inner guards and doors, so I can get a better idea on what I'm in for.